Sleeping bags for summer and winter
The baby should be put on a sleeping bag to sleep , especially in the first 12 months of life. International studies have shown that babies and toddlers who sleep in a sleeping bag have decreased infant mortality from cot death. Of course, there are other triggers for this, but in many cases there has been suffocation when the babies have pulled the covers over their heads. In addition, it is more difficult for babies to roll over on their tummy in a sleeping bag, which can reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome.
Many children also kick their bedspreads away at night and then lie there freely. The child freezes and hypothermia and the associated cold can quickly develop . In contrast, a sleeping bag keeps children nice and warm all night.
The baby sleeping bags are available in different designs. There are thinner models that are suitable for summer, but also quilted versions that keep the child nice and warm in winter. There are also sleeping bag models that have an inner and an outer bag . The thinner model of this can be used in summer. When the days get colder, both sleeping bags are simply connected to each other. These will keep your child nice and warm in winter.
When buying a baby sleeping bag, particular attention should be paid to its quality, such as breathable materials (cotton) , good workmanship and a soft fabric. In addition, the opening for the neck should not be larger than the baby’s head circumference.
Find the right size
Sleeping bags are available in four different sizes (70 cm, 90 cm, 110 cm and 130 cm). The size of the sleeping bag must be chosen according to the size of the child.
It should be noted that the child should always have at least 10-15 cm of space in the sleeping bag to kick. The rule of thumb for the optimal size is: body size – head length + 10 centimeters.
Special newborn sleeping bags are available for newborns . A model with a length of 70 or 90 cm is suitable here.
The advantages of a baby sleeping bag over a blanket:
- The optimal sleeping bag gives the baby a feeling of security and warmth and ensures safe dreams – just like in mom’s tummy.
- Further advantages of a baby sleeping bag: Safe baby sleep through the use of a sleeping bag. If the baby sleeps in a sleeping bag, it is more difficult for them to roll over on their stomach and therefore lie in a healthy position on their back.
- A suitable baby sleeping bag does not slip over the child’s head and thus becomes a danger.
- Another advantage of a high-quality baby sleeping bag is that it gives even the youngest enough legroom.
- The arms of your little darling no longer slip out compared to the baby blanket.
- Baby sleeping bags can often be used regardless of the season.