Personal care is important in the conduct of everyday life. It is a broad term that refers to products that can improve or maintain personal appearance. Many people focus on improving or maintaining personal appearance because it can ultimately boost self-confidence at the end of the day. When you have the confidence, it is as if all things are possible.
Indeed personal care products are important but you have to be aware that it contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS). It is a chemical found in many cleaning and beauty products. Here are some frequently asked questions about SLS:
What is SLS?
It is identified as a surfactant. This means that it reduces the surface tension between the ingredients. For this reason, SLS is used as a foaming and cleansing agent. Not all users of personal care products know this but SLS is also found in household cleaners. With this, many people are concerned.
Where to find SLS?
Whether it is your bathroom sink or dresser, it is likely that you will find SLS. It is found in different products such as:
1. Cream and lotions: you can find SLS ingredient in hand cream, anti-itch creams,
sunscreen and hand cream.
2. Grooming products: you can find SLS ingredient in shaving cream, hand sanitizer, lip balm, makeup remover, facial cleansers, foundation, exfoliants, liquid soap, hand soap and nail treatments.
3. Bath products: you can find SLS ingredient in shampoos, conditioner, bath oils, bath salts, body wash and even bubble bath.
4. Hair products: you can find SLS ingredient in hair coloring, styling gel, and dandruff treatment.
5. Dental care products: you can find SLS ingredient in teeth whitening, toothpaste, and mouthwash.
6. Food additive: you will be surprised that SLS can also be used as a food additive. It serves as thickener or emulsifier. You can find it in marshmallow products, some dry beverage, and dried egg products.
Is it safe or dangerous?
You will notice personal care products with SLS are topical. This means that it is applied directly to the skin. With that, the question remains: is it safe or dangerous? You have to know that the U.S FDA (Food and Drug Administration) regards it as safe. According to FDA, if SLS is used briefly and rinsed properly, it is not harmful. If the personal care product stays on the skin for long hours, it should not exceed 1%.
Still not convinced?
You have to remember that the concentration of SLS found in personal care products is limited. This means that you can still rely on personal care products when it comes to improving or maintaining your appearance. If you do not want to risk it, there are many products these days without it. You can find a shampoo without sodium laureth sulphate on the market.
More and more people are conscious about SLS these days. The prudent thing to do is a check local store nearby. You can also consider ordering online. Read the reviews first to gain insight before purchasing. Whatever you choose, always read the ingredient labels first.